Friday, October 10, 2008

Gourds

Tina has been clamoring for an update to the fate of the "pumpkins" I wrote about in an earlier post.

The "pumpkins" were completely out of control by the end of August. Anna was insisting that I needed to build a bridge over the vines that were snaking across the concrete walkway. Immediate action was required, so on August 28, even though they weren't completely ready, Anna and I harvested the crop, and pulled up all the vines.


Did I mention that they turned out not to be pumpkins? Somehow, we ended up with a collection of ornamental gourds. After drying them for one month, today we put them on top of the kitchen cabinets. (Note that I could only get a fraction of them in the picture.)


Another exciting bit of news is that the flashlight that Dad and I were convinced was thrown out with all the debris from the living room bookshelf deconstruction was discovered, by Anna, nestled between two sofa cushions.


Exciting news indeed.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

The gourds look very pretty! Remember when Anna used to call pumpkins "pums"? Pums and Mums! I always think about that this time of year.

Michael Hehir said...

"Pums and Mums" — that seems so long ago!