Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Coffee for One

I'm not quite human until my first cup of coffee. Tina and Anna both know this, so the first order of business in the morning is to get Daddy some coffee. Tina usually makes a pot of coffee when she wakes up. However, today she had to go to work early, so no coffee.

Anna came in to let me know that she was done sleeping and "can I please go downstairs now?" I mumbled my assent and went back to sleep. The sounds of a chair dragging across the kitchen floor and cabinet doors opening and closing used to disturb me, but now I figure if she wants to get a granola bar and a glass of milk, well, she's five years old. And it gives me five extra minutes of sleep.

Anyway, five minutes later, Anna returns. "Daddy, I made you coffee!"

That's one way to make me jump out of bed. "What? What exactly did you do?"

And she proceeds to list a series of actions that sound remarkably like they could lead to the production of coffee. At least an abstract cup of coffee.

"You have to plug it in and turn it on because I can't touch electricity."

Whew. So she does listen to my lectures. I'm still a bit nervous, because there's a good chance that my day will start without coffee, but I stumble into the kitchen to survey the damage.

And I find that everything was set up just right.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow! Kerry and I are both impressed. Was the coffee extra strong, weak, just right, etc?

Michael Hehir said...

Hi Kerry!

If she had brewed the coffee herself it would have been weak, because there was only enough coffee for half a pot and she filled the reservoir to the tippy top. I just poured off half the water and the resulting coffee was fine.

(She did mention that she tried to measure the coffee, but there wasn't enough left so she just poured everything into the coffee machine. That's exactly what I would have done.)