Sunday, August 3, 2008

Musical Rooms

We're getting ready for the arrival of our newest family member. One thing that traditionally needs to be done is preparation of the nursery. We already have a crib (thanks Cate!) and all the furniture we need, so it should be a simple matter of putting the furniture in the room. There are, however, a few preliminaries.

With the addition of another girl we will need one bedroom for each of the two girls, plus one bedroom for me and Tina, plus an office for Tina. We have four bedrooms in the house, but we've only fixed up three of them. Well, that needs to change.

(I like to refer to the bedrooms by their geographic location. This drives Tina crazy for some reason, but it is the only way I can keep track of them.)

Here's the scenario:
  • NW bedroom = office --> nursery
  • NE bedroom = Tina and Mike --> office
  • SE bedroom = unoccupied --> Tina and Mike
  • SW bedroom = Anna --> Anna
So every room changes, except for Anna's room. But wait, there's more!

Anna wants her room painted lilac. (Actually, she wanted it painted pink, but we talked her into lilac.) Once we get all the other rooms set up, it will be hard to get Anna out of her room to paint it, so it has to be done now. (We could also ignore her request, but come on, it's pretty reasonable for a little princess to want her room painted some sort of pinkish, purple color.)

So we moved Anna's furniture to the NW bedroom (current office, future nursery) while I paint the SW bedroom (Anna's past and future bedroom). Of course, the NW bedroom wasn't empty, so all that stuff had to go somewhere. Thank goodness for old houses with large walk-up attics. And Dad helped me bring my oak table down to the basement. But wait, there's more!

The upstairs hallway is in terrible shape. The floor should really be replaced, but we're not going to do that, so I just have to fix it up as best as I can. The thing is, once I put down a coat of polyurethane we can't access any of the upstairs rooms at all, and with the humidity we've been having it takes 2-3 days to cure. And it really stinks too. Good thing my sister just had a baby so I have an excuse to go to Boston for a couple of days.

Hey, this post could use some pictures, huh? I'll have to see what I can do about that. Maybe tomorrow. Firefly is waiting - Bushwhacked!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything will look amazing!

Anna is looking forward to her lilac room (and I'm looking forward to having my new office). And of course, we're all looking forward to decorating the nursery.

Tina

Michael Hehir said...

Thanks! I hope it will look good...