Saturday, August 30, 2008

Small Problems Overcome

Very often, it's the small problems that halt my forward momentum.

In the southeast bedroom, there's a bit of baseboard trim that was poorly spliced by the previous owner when they decided to alter the floor plan. (It's hard for me to explain without a picture. One of these days, I'll figure out how to use Google SketchUp.)

Anyway, nobody but me would ever notice — or care — that this splice isn't up to snuff. The "correct" way to fix the problem would have been to remove the trim and reinstall it. But this approach would likely have caused a cascade of other problems. The newly spliced piece would have been too short, so I would have had to replace that part of the trim. But then I would have had to match the old trim. Or, failing that, I would have had to replace all the trim.

Clearly, I was looking at an excessive amount of work to solve a very small problem. And I knew that. I made a conscious decision to ignore the poor workmanship.

The trouble is, my subconscious was saying, "I don't think so."

So, I was stuck. Enter Tina. "Can you just smooth it out somehow?"

In my defense, I had thought of that. I just didn't think it would work.

A few strokes with a plane, a bit of wood putty, and a random orbital sander were all it took to bypass that obstacle. Is it perfect? No, but it's good enough.

And, to top it all off, I got a prize: a LEGO "Imperial Dropship" with four stormtroopers. I don't remember seeing this ship in the movies, but it was fun to build.



By the way, there was a question in the comments about the LEGO AT-AP featured in an earlier post.
Is the scary robot one of the good guys or bad guys?

The AT-AP (All Terrain Attack Pod) is basically a gun platform. It was originally used near the end of the Clone Wars, by Republic forces led by the Jedi against the Separatists. So, I guess it was used by the good guys.

But then Order 66 came, and the clone troopers turned on the Jedi, and exterminated most of them. So, I guess it was used by the bad guys.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I like how you get lego prizes. The lego photos are great!

Michael Hehir said...

The prizes are Tina's way of pushing me over the finish line. (I usually stop a few yards short, have a drink, and wander off to do something else. I imagine that could get frustrating for someone who's used to finishing things.)

It can be pretty tricky to get decent LEGO photos. The pieces are highly reflective, so you have to be very careful with the lighting. Now that I think of it, it's probably similar to photographing jewelry.